Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Thinking back: American History X


In case you don't know, American History X was a 1998 film directed by Tony Kaye (who normally directs music videos) and Edward Norton (who I loved in Fight Club). Anyways, the main plot of the film is that a disgruntled big brother Derek comes back home from prison, he realizes that everything was exactly as he left it.

Derek, his family, and his friends were all skinheads (AKA, neo-Nazi's) and that's what got Derek sent to jail in the first place. Two black men try to break into his car at night, he finds out, and kills them both on the street, wearing nothing but his underwear. Whilst in prison, he learns the error of his ways, blah blah blah, and realizes that it didn't get him anywhere, and all it can lead to is pain.

He tries to save his little brother Danny from the going down the same road he did, but Danny believes prison just made his brother soft. His friends start to dislike him, and even chase him down just for wanting to leave it all behind. I won't ruin the ending, but it really is worth the watch.

I grew up with a real.... discriminate (don't know if that's the right word to use) environment. Seeing this film at a friends house really opened my eyes to a lot. It's a pretty good film with a great message.


Yeah, I really didn't have much else to write about. I saw that this movie was on Encore or something today, and it made me think about it. Topics will get better later, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment